POSITION SUMMARY: The full-time Music Director is responsible for overseeing traditional music ministries for Hazel Green United Methodist Church. In addition to overall responsibility for traditional music ministry, this position directly leads the adult, youth, and handbell choirs for 8:30 am, 11:00 am, and 6:30 pm worship services each Sunday, and the corresponding practice sessions for each.
HOURS: The Music Director is expected to spend forty (40) hours per week performing the duties outlined in this job description.
ACCOUNTABILITY: You work under the supervision of the Senior Pastor, in cooperation with all other staff, and are accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. Further, you will supervise and work closely with all other paid and volunteer music staff.
1. Oversee and coordinate entire music program for all ages. Work with both paid and volunteer music staff to aid in recruiting, training, determining the ages and numbers of choirs, selecting and ordering of music, communication with office staff, coordination of rehearsal schedules and worship opportunity dates, upkeep and ordering of musical instruments, maintenance of music library, and any other support needed.
2. Serve as chancel choir director. Conduct weekly rehearsals and have the choir ready for at least one anthem most Sunday mornings. Implement a Christmas program that includes the chancel choir and any other groups appropriate to the music selected.
3. Coordinate special music for 8:30 and 11:00 worship, special music programs, revivals, special evening services, etc.
4. Select or assist the attending pastor in selecting hymns for 8:30, 11:00, 6:30 and any special worship services.
5. Be present for worship services to give leadership to congregational singing.
6. Direct adult handbell choir. If interest indicates, offer handbell program to younger students.
7. Direct Youth Choir. Conduct weekly practice and have the choir ready for at least quarterly performances at regular service.
8. Assist with Kid’s In Action Choir. Assist the Director of Children’s Ministry as needed to promote music program within the overall Kid’s in Action program.
9. Attend staff meetings, serve as staff representative to the Worship Committee, and attend Church Council meetings.
10. Other: Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor and/or the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
11. Continuing Education: Funds are provided annually for Continuing Education. Please attend continuing education events as desired and scheduled with the Senior Pastor.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent work experience.
2. Familiarity with traditional worship services.
Contact: Lisa Barnes
Location: Hazel Green United Methodist Church
Address: 14131 Hwy. 231/431 N. Hazel Green AL 35750