July 24, 2017
The Kentucky Annual Conference seeks a person to serve as the graphic designer for the conference. The graphic designer will be charged with creating visual concepts, by hand or using computer software, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, or captivate leaders, both clergy and laity, among the churches and people who make up the Kentucky Annual Conference. This is a part-time position (20 hours/week).
More specifically, the graphic designer will be responsible for:
- Producing strategic branding and public relations materials to support the mission of the Kentucky Annual Conference, its churches and is agencies.
- Developing graphics for product illustrations, logos, and websites.
- Meeting with clients, both internal and external, to determine the scope of a project.
- Helping the client determine the message the client’s design should portray and advise on the best ways to reach a particular audience.
- Creating designs primarily using computer software packages.
- Selecting colors, images, text style, and layout for print and web design, newsletters, email blasts website updates and social media.
- Presenting the design to clients, director of communications and others that have buy-in.
- Incorporating changes recommended by the clients into the final design.
- Reviewing designs for errors before printing or publishing them
- Working with the continued development and updating of the conference website.
- May be called upon to occasionally offer training for local churches, districts and conference agencies in effective use of graphic presentations and/or brand usage
- Engaging in continuing education related to graphic design skills and Christian communications and participate in related professional organizations.
This person will be part of a highly creative and professional team which at times will include camps, Connectional Ministries, Administrative Services, the Episcopal Office, districts, conference agencies and local churches and others with responsibility for producing materials for the Kentucky Annual Conference. This person will report directly to the Conference Director of Communications.
The person selected for this position should have a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field. However, those with a bachelor’s degree in another field who have pursued training in graphic design would also be considered. Candidates will be asked to submit a professional portfolio that demonstrates their creativity and originality.
This person must have computer skills with extensive experience in design software, particularly Adobe Creative Suite software. In addition to creativity and artistic ability this person must also possess communication skills, time management skills and an ability to work in a team environment.
Personal Characteristics Desired:
This person must demonstrate strong relational skills, be a self-starter, and demonstrate the ability to work effectively in group settings of all sizes.
It is also a bonus if this person has a basic understanding of the United Methodist Church.
Resumes and portfolios are due by June 26, 2017
Contact: Cathy Bruce
Location: Kentucky Conference of the United Methodist Church
7400 Floydsburg Road Crestwood KY 40014